Friday, December 23, 2016

12 Days of Christmas

In my recent blog for the dog training part of my business,  
swollen eye
(https://dogchapter.wordpress.com/2016/12/10/indoor-training/) I linked to a 12 Days of Christmas training series by Donna Hill. I also mentioned that working on husbandry skills is a great winter project. Since then I have been keeping a list of skills to see if I could come up with twelve for my own 12 days of Christmas project. 

Here is my list:

  1. deworming
  2. foot handling for simple picking as well as for trimming
  3. intramuscular injections
  4. intravenous injections or draws
  5. eye care
  6. ear handling
  7. leg palpation
  8. leg manipulation
  9. TPR (taking temperature, pulse and respiration)
  10. bandaging or applying boots
  11. tooth care
  12. sheath and udder care
wearing boots (NOT put on correctly)
I'll focus on each one of these per day, as both a review of how our skills are, and looking for ways to improve them. Each one can be incorporated into a daily grooming session or chore time.

As always, it's important to work on these before you need them. An injured horse does not need added stress of treatment and handling she has never received before. A professional (chiropractor, vet, hoof trimmer) does not need the added stress of working on a horse who is not familiar with what is being done!















No comments: